From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:57:48 -0500
I have begun a very well written book which has been highly recommended
by friends who are in several, diverse, complex fields.

The author is a surgeon who also writes often for the New Yorker
magazine and he writes beautifully. To emphasize his points he includes
absolutely fascinating surgical stories from around the world of things
gone right and things gone wrong.

The title is one that normally would get me to not look twice at a
book, but this one deserves a long read because the information in it
can prevent errors in health care within homes and shelters, and also
prevent errors in veterinary hospitals.

From his own field's perspective he points out in examples and
solutions that many surgeons are highly competent but since surgery
is so complex with so many steps it is possible to overlook things,
or make errors which can be eliminated with different habits and
checklists.

_The Checklist Manifesto_
author: Atul Gawande
ISBN:  978-0-8050-9174-8
publisher:  Metropolitan Books, Henry Holt and Company, LLC
2009

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/