From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:23:56 PDT
Hello to all!

After being away for several months, I decided to come back to the FML.  It
took some convincing by several members to come back, but I figure that
since I am using a hotmail account, my new business account will be safe.

Thank you to the individual who has been sending me the FML during my
email transition.  There are a few things I have read that I would like
to comment on.

Lisette, your posts are excellent!  Many of my ancestors died in
concentration camps and I am pleased to see you feel as you do about it.
I have tried to see both sides of the Marshall Farms debate, but after
reading so many things about them and also the USDA materials, it is hard
for me not to believe what I read.  Yes, I agree that some information can
get exaggerated, but it would be very hard to discount the many violations
they have been written up for.

What would I like to see?  I would like to see members of the FML band
together and take some action.  If we as a group could investigate some of
these allegations, perhaps the truth would finally come out?  Then those
who admire Marshall Farms and those who don't would at least have all the
facts.  How can this be achieved?  Most of us do not live near them.  What
I propose is for someone to write a letter to Marshall Farms (addressed to
the President, not customer service) suggesting that they should allow
several FML members to tour their facility (the breeding portion, not the
corporate offices).  If this place has nothing to hide, don't you think
that they would be open to this?  I would think that if they are proud of
what they are doing, they would see that this would benefit them and
squelch all of the vicious rumors.  Yes, it is understandable that they
would be concerned about "contamination" but there are ways around that.  I
would love to see a letter composed, requesting this, that everyone could
sign.  Certainly, over 3,000 FML members would be listened to?  After all,
we are the reason that their is a market for ferrets and related products.
I really think this is a great opportunity for Marshall Farms to put the
rumors to bed.  I would even be willing to put up some money for the
airfare for the reliable and honest person to go and be a "detective".
Jeanne Carley would be a good person to send since she does so much already
for ferrets.  Not to mention that she is very logical and level-headed.
What are the thoughts on this idea?

All I know is that when a breeder will not allow people in, many on this
list grow suspicious of why (see past posts).  If many feel this way about
private breeders (what are they hiding and why can't I come visit?) then
why feel any differently about a larger operation?  In fact, a larger
facility should have less qualms about allowing this than a smaller
facility.

I have my own suspicions about Marshall Farms, Path Valley Farms, Triple F
and so forth, but without being able to get information first hand from a
reliable eye witness,that can dispell the government reports, it is really
hard not to believe what you read in the USDA reports.  Any business who is
proud of what they do, should have no problem in providing this.  This is a
fair way to do business.

Thoughts on this idea would be appreciated.  Keep in mind, there is NOWHERE
in my post that I have accused Marshall Farms of anything, and nowhere in
my post do I specify that they are definitely guilty of what has been
proposed.  I just want the facts.

"My ferrets think I only have one foot".