Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 05:34:46 -0500
I have a special request of FML members.  To complete the irregular series
of posts I have been writing regarding ferret pet food labels, I need
actual labels.  Since I neither have the desire to buy hundreds of dollars
of pet foods to gain access to the labels, and not all TYPES or BRANDS of
ferrets foods are sold in my region, I request that FML members mail the
labels to me as soon as possible.

What I wish to do with the labels is to create a comparative chart which
could be used for cross comparisons of ferret food.  I would make this
data first available on the FML (because the info was contributed by FML
members), but would probably publish it in Modern Ferret as well.  I need
as many brands as possible, from as many countries as possible as quickly
as possible.

To do this properly, I need the entire outer label (wrapper) and a small
sample of the dry food (maybe a ounce) so I can photograph it, measure
shape and size, hardness (if dry), and other qualities.  The label will
also give me the manufacturer's name, and I plan on requesting a more
detailed analysis of the food as well.  If the food is a wet type, I do NOT
need a sample unless you are willing to mail an unopened can (tin).  If the
food is from a bag, the outer label can be cut with a razor blade down each
side and the entire label (front and back) can be removed, folded and
mailed in an envelope (please don't send the inner bag, it just adds
weight).  If the food comes in a box with an outer wrapper, you can do
the same thing.  If the label is directly printed on the box, you can store
the food in ziplocks, carefully flatten the box and ship it in a mailing
envelope.  Labels on cans (tins) can be razor sliced next to the 'glue
spot" and carefully peeled off.  Samples should be stored inside two
ziplocks and included with the label.  If you cannot afford donating the
cost of the sample and postage, if you request, I can return those costs to
you, but ask first because I may not actually want 20 people each sending a
can of 8-in-1Ultra-Blend Beef Dinner for Ferrets at cost plus postage. ;-)

Since there may be some regional differences in labeling, it would be
interesting to see what they are, so I don't think there should be a need
to worry about multiple submissions.  In other words, just send the labels
without worry of duplication.  If I get too many of a single type, I will
announce it here.  Also, please don't wait until the food container is
empty; you can store the food in ziplocks or plastic tubs.  If you wait
until the food container is empty before sending it in, I won't be able to
add it too the list, or I would have to wait weeks before being able to
compare it.  If you are overseas, if you can, please ship by some sort of
fast mailing method.  I would appreciate an e-mail notification of your
intent to mail the sample and label, but it is unnecessary, and I won't
have time to acknowledge them.

When I post the raw data on the FML (or publish in printed media), I will
acknowledge by name all those who have donated material towards this
project (unless specifically asked not to do so).  Following my typical
policy, I will allow this comparative chart to be posted in other news
groups, in non-profit regional newsletters and on web pages upon request.
I am not trying to make a profit; I simply want to get the best possible
information to ferret owners.

Please help, and please do not delay.  Please get this information to me as
soon as possible.  Mail to:

Bob Church
POB 1988
Columbia MO 65205.

Thank you all for your help in this matter.

Bob C and 16 Mo' Loafing Label Readers