From:
"Bill Gruber (FML Moderator)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 1995 01:00:00 EST
The last few issues of the FML have been on the lengthy side.  The last thing
I want right now is an extended flame war about the Marshall Farms' philosophy.
Of course, it's a topic quite appropriate to discuss here, but please, let's
keep the unsubstantiated charges (on either side of the discussion) and the
emotional animal right's discussions to a minimum.

Based upon FML statements and other sources of mixed opinions, here's what I
understand the situation to be:

1) People aren't really saying that MF ferrets don't make wonderful pets.  Of
   course they do.  In fact, the MF critters tend to have *wonderful*
   temperaments - both the research community and the pet owner community
   prefer them that way.
2) I observe two (or 3) areas where people are questioning Marshall Farms'
   treatment of ferrets.
   Firstly, MF ferrets are neutered before sexual maturity.  Some folks claim
   as early as 4 weeks, although MF refutes that.  Anyhow, many people think
   that early neutering predisposes ferrets to certain diseases, such as
   insulinomas, and also results in a lower weight ferret.
   Secondly, many people think that MF ferrets are too inbred.  It is felt that
   this, too, may result in disease prone ferrets.  For example, it can be
   argued that since MF breeds primarily for the research field, longevity and
   disease resistance is not too important if the typical ferret is euthanized
   at age 2.
   Perhaps there is a third issue too - what happens if Marshall Farms ferrets
   don't "make the grade"?  Pet store returns and ferrets deemed unsuitable
   for sale to researchers or stores are probably "disposed" of.  I suspect
   the same is true for a large commercial breeder of any animal, so perhaps
   it's not really an MF issue, which is why I'm hedging calling it issue #3.

Anyhow, unless I really miss the point, those are the issues, and I think our
time can be better spent debating not if Marshall Farms is a tool of the devil
but by talking about ways to improve the lives of *all* our ferrets, MF and
otherwise.

Thanks and keep on typing...

Bill Gruber,
FML moderator