From:
Jeff Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 08:20:43 -0700
Over the weekend I picked up another ferret from a semi local to me.  I
was told that she had become a biter and that they didn't have the time to
retrain her.  They also told me that she had lost her littermate about 6
months ago due to genetic problems.  The Ferret (Maya) looks in good shape
as did her environment.  The couple I got them from seemed to know what
they were doing over all and were genuinely very concerned about her but
frustrated too.

She doesn't seem to respond to sound at all.  I have a squeaky toy that I
use with Penny that always gets her attention, it doesn't for Maya.  I can
also make lots of sharp noise's when Maya is a sleep and she won't stir.
I've found that if I reach in the cage and touch Maya while she's sleeping
she is really quite startled and will bite (and hard, good thing for those
gloves).  Even awake she doesn't seem to respond to sound, as It seems
easy to sneak up on her (thus making her scared and insecure, jumpy and
ultimately nippy).  Can you recall her be stimulated by sound?

Many thanks & don't worry, she seems to being doing ok in my hands at this
point, though Penny has been acting very domineering around her (wants to
bite her neck ect..).  At this time they only get to interact between bars
of Maya's cage or if I'm holding both.  Maya does get her fair share of out
of the cage run around.  Penny is getting free roam of the bed room today
while Maya gets the living room.  How should I find out about Maya's
deafness?  If she is def, how do I wean her of her biting?  Lastly how do I
keep Penny from dominating/hurting Maya in the mean time?

Thanks

JEff