From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:06:43 -0500
>Over-Supplementing
>Hi all... I have a question maybe someone can help me with.  Can you
>possibly over-supplement your ferrets with vitamins?  My five fuzzies
>receive a good portion of ferretvite daily.  They really love the stuff.
>One a week, I give them a good portion of ferretone to cut their nails.
>Also, once a week I give them a good portion of a cat laxative to prevent
>hairballs.

I can speak only to my own experience with ferret vets and care, and some
independent study.  Vitamins are not relatively inert food products.  As to
general nutrient care, it appears the consensus that ferrets, like other
animals, should receive what they require, and nothing more.  Some holistic
therapies suggest Mega-dose administration for the treatment of some
disorders ranging from the common cold to cancer.  However, these are the
exceptions, and not the standard.  As to Ferretone, and Linatone, there has
been much discussion, and there appears little threat of Vit A overdose.
However, there have been reported cases of digestive disorders where these
supplements taken in large quantities were indicated by the reason of high
fatty acid content.  As a result of a independent study, the general
consensus or average appears to be a suggested amount no more than 6-10
drops per week.  Although some indicated there was little need for any with
the proper diet, and that these should be withheld.  Participants kind
enough to be a part the study included some of the most well known ferrets
vets and all were greatly appreciated for their time and consideration.

Some individuals have suggested reducing the supplements' potency without
affecting taste is to add Canola oil before giving.  As to hair ball
remedies, they may be given prophalactically, but perhaps at a lesser rate
than you are presently applying.  Please keep in mind, as I do, that
generally speaking, vets' and professionals' statements are conservative
in nature by virtue.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi