From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 18:48:41 -0500
Dear FML family,

I am asking every one of you to copy the letter below, edit it to your
liking if you wish, sign it, and spend .32 cents and an envelope for the
freedom of choice and the betterment of ferret health everywhere.  Whether
you or your vet uses FERVAC or GALAXY or another vaccine to fight canine
distemper, it would be to the benefit of ferrets in general to have more
than one option and USDA recognition.  If you are associated with a club,
please ask that this be run in the next newsletter - if Solvay receives 200
letters, things just might happen.  To add a person touch, tell them how
many ferrets you own.

Thank you,
Pam Grant / STAR* Ferrets

=============================

Solvay Animal Health, Inc.
1201 Northland Drive
Mendota Heights, MN 55120-1149
1-800-524-1645

Dear Solvay,

I am a ferret owner.  Despite the label "For use in dogs only", your
product, GALAXY-D, has been my choice for vaccinating my ferrets against
canine distemper.  It has provided safe, comfortable, and affordable
protection vital for the health of my pets.  I want to continue to have my
ferret inoculated with it.

Some veterinarians and vaccine distribution companies will not carry your
product because it is hardly ever used on dogs.  That since the product is
not labeled for ferrets, it should not be used on ferrets.  In this same
vein, some ferret clubs and organizations are asking that all ferrets be
vaccinated with only USDA vaccines approved for use in ferrets in order to
enter show halls, fun matches and club meetings.  In other words, if ferrets
are not vaccinated with United Vaccines FERVAC - D, the only licensed
distemper vaccine for ferrets at this time, GALAXY-D ferrets will not be
allowed.  This poses several problems:

1.  Many veterinarians experienced with ferrets would prefer to continue to
use a product they have had no problems with in the past than switch to a
new product.  Since FERVAC - D is only designed for ferrets, many
veterinarians are not interested in such a specialized item taking up space
on their clinic's shelves.

2.  FERVAC - D has caused several reaction in ferrets, from stinging and
vomiting all the way to anaphalatic shock and death.  I am on the Internet
in touch with almost 2000 ferret owners, and time and time again I see where
FERVAC-D has caused problems, and no mention of reactions exist with
GALAXY-D.

There are over six million ferrets in the United States, and Solvay can make
the difference by getting the necessary testing for USDA approval for use in
ferrets.  After all, with all the combination shots available and being
given to dogs, who but ferret people would BUY a straight and simple canine
distemper vaccine?

Would Solvay please have GALAXY-D USDA licensed for use in ferrets as well
as dogs?  Ferret owners are very much interested in staying with your
product which has worked in our favor for many years without making our pets
uncomfortable.

     Sincerely,