From:
Michael Downey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 1998 10:41:51 -0400
>From:    MC <[log in to unmask]>
>Here is a chance for FML readers to offer their opinions without fear that
>the soap box will become an execution stand!  <GRIN>

ACK!

>I am in the market for a ferret carrying sack.  Something light that can be
>slung over the shoulder and will carry 2 ferrets for sure, but might have
>room for 3.  I have seen the 3 advertised on the Ferret Store web-page.
>Are there others any of you gentle readers might recommend.

My favorite carrying bag has been a kind of gym/tote bag.  It's got a
largezippered center pocket ( @ 14"x14"x18") with a sizeable zippered
pocket on either end for food and gear.  A minor adaption of some nylon
mesh windows to facilitate breathing, sightseeing and dooking and Jack is
ready for those short trips to the vet or park.  A safety pin ensure
security on the zipper.  It's big enough for 2 (or 3 in a pinch) and easy
to carry.  Best of all, I got it for $2 at a tag sale. :o)  For trips
longer than an 1/2 hour, I still use a fold-down wire cage in buckled in
the back seat.

>The same holds true for harnesses for ferrets.  There are several shown or
>talked about in the Ferret Store, including 1 model that is listed as for a
>male and for a female.  There are also figure 8 and H harnesses.  Which is
>better?  Why?  I have seen references to velcro harnesses here on the FML.
>Are there favorites out there and why?

I tried the figure-8 harness and that idea lasted about 2 minutes.  I
foundthere was just too much flexibilty in it and Jack was able to use that
to his advantage.  The H-harness defeated his need to be "free" with the two
independant buckles.  I was able to find one in a "soft" nylon strap rather
than the stiff leather that needed breaking in.

Hope you all find this as useful as I have.  :o)