From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:29:40 -0400
I came up with the only solution I could to get 100% hits in the cage.  The
four members of the Herd that live together are in a three-story cage.  I
covered the ENTIRE bottom level with litter boxes!  Not a single bit of
space where they could get their butts outside of it.  The second level
(which is actually only a half-level) is filled with food bowls in each
corner and a water bottle.  The top level is full of hammocks and sleepy
sacks and a water bottle in one corner.  The only miss we had was when
someone had diarrhea and went on a sleepy sack in the top level.  Eeeeeww!

As for Sandy, the loner, she has always been very concientious (sp?) about
where she poops.  She is in a smaller cage, one big level & one half-level.
Her litter box is in one corner on the bottom level with a sleepy sack in
the middle and her food bowl & water bottle in the opposite corner.  Above
the half-level she has a hanging sleep tube (like a rolled-up hammock).
100% hits for her, too!

For both cages, there isn't any wire that shows.  The Herd are always on a
towel or a sweatshirt or a sleepy sack or an old rug remnant.  So there's
no "Hey, I can see the litter box from up here, so that means I can poop
up here!"

But for some unbeknownst reason, the Herd doesn't use litter boxes outside
of the cage.  They play in them and toss litter everywhere.  Sooooo, I put
newspaper down in one corner of the kitchen.  That's where the gang of four
go.  It's easy to clean up that way.

And Sandy goes in the bathtub.  Go figure.  Even if she's in another room,
she'll run for the bathtub, jump in to go, then run off to where she was
before.  So I just run a little hot water to wash it down, and once a week
add some Drano. :-)

===
Aileen & the herd
Slinky, Gizmo, Kyle, Noel, & Sandy

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not an act but a
habit."