From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:41:08 EDT
No one really knows exactly how easily ADV can be passed to other ferrets
right now.  Dr. Stevenson, who is a vet and a virologist, said the virus
has almost certainly mutated since it was studied years ago.

I think I can say with some certainty, though, (and maybe Dr. Williams will
back me up on this), that ADV CANNOT be spread through e-mails.  This is
one virus that will not download onto your hard drive upon opening e-mail.

It may sound like a bit of a joke that I'm making...but I have actually
had people who never answered e-mails I sent them...or who stopped
corresponding with me once they found out I had ADV positive ferrets.

Although I usually don't single people out, one person that posts to the
FML often (and made an entire post about falling in love with White Russian
"at first sight"), and who comes across as being very kind and caring, has
never once written to me to say she feels bad about Russian, "the most
beautiful and ethereal ferret in the world" being sick.  In fact, she never
answered the e-mail I sent her to tell her personally that he was ADV
positive.  She is probably afraid...she handled Russian at two shows and,
at one, went back and handled her own ferrets.  But "ignoring" me won't
keep her ferrets safe.  And if she did, in fact, fall in love with White
Russian "at first sight"...Russian doesn't need that kind of love.
Obviously, I don't know if she's tested her ferrets, but I do know she's
adopted one since then.  In my opinion, she has shown herself to be neither
kind, nor caring...only very foolish.  This is one disease you can't bury
your head in the sand about and think, by doing so, that you will keep your
ferrets safe from it.

Judy