From:
alice harber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 01:23:51 -0400
A big thanks to all of you that responded to my mail.  I have been in N.J.
for the last week, but will get back to all of you soon.  I have entered
my e-mail since you have said that my sweet little Lucy is legal to keep.
This newsletter is great, and I am learning so much about ferrets.

Your poop stuff is funny!  Lucy, the 6 year old sweety that was given to me
was a poopy mess when we got her.  Now she it 99 to 100 %, and I am not a
mean mommy.  I think that the answer is spending the time to train them.
One ferret is easy, 8 would be impossible.  It took about two weeks of
picking her up and putting her in her cage litter box every time she got up
from a nap, before she was let out when we got home etc.until she got the
message.  She will go next to her box if it is not cleaned every day.....
noone wants to sit in a dirty toilet.  These fuzzys are smart, and if you
love them they will want to please you.

While in N.J. I visited Rick and Denise at Kista-Ferret North.  They really
have their hands full.They are sheltering about 40 ferrets that need homes.
I don't know how they do it....what love and devotion.  If you are in N.J.
and have room for one more, they have some beautiful fuzzys that need homes.
Don't look at Cookie to close.  I might have to go back and get her.

This will probably make some people mad, but..............While in N.J. I
also went to a few pet shops.  It was terrible,even in the better ones to
see baby ferrets in fish tanks with no food, laying on wood chips, and
being poked at by kids.  Does S.C.  need to make the sale of ferrets legal
so that we can have the same thing in every pet shop?  How many ferret
shelters would we need?  Would MF start sending their ferrets here, giving
them a bigger market?

On a happier note, Lucy jumpped, danced and went crazy with kisses when we
got home.  She went thru every suitcase and bag.  The sitter did not let
her out much.  We are still looking for a cagemate for her.  But I do have
some info.  from you great folks.  I live in Anderson S.C..  Are there any
other ferret folks in town?  How often do they need distemper shots etc.
She has been checked by Dr. Shirley in Pendelton, and he says that she is
in fine shape.  Has anyone ever brought a ferret to him?  I think that he
is great, but I don't know how much he knows about ferrets.

Russell, Alice and little Lady Lucy ( Their back, I get rasins and treats
again )