From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 02:38:44 -0500
Liz Tveite asked:
>The person that had the idea of sending $1.00 a month to benefit Support
>our Shelters seems to be a great one, but I just have a couple questions?
>How many shelters benefit from this fund?  What qualifications does it
>take to be a shelter on this list?

SOS would certainly appreciate a regular income like this so that we would
have funds on hand when needs arise.

I have not counted how many shelters are on the FML Shelter List these
days.  Maybe 100?  All of them benefit in being listed where their
information will be sent to 3000 people, any of whom might want to find
a shelter when the want to adopt a ferret or get involved in helping a
shelter.

As for financial help, SOS has rarely had much money to give away,
although we have raised thousands for specific major rescues and now the
ADV testing.  When we have been able to help some shelters at random, we
have looked for the neediest ones on the list.

There are no qualifications for being on the list other than being a
ferret shelter and sending me the contact information for the shelter and
their vet.  However, when we have funds available to help a few shelters,
we can check them out it two ways.  One is to contact the vet the shelter
uses; the other is to ask some discrete questions of people/shelters we
already know are reliable.

To all of you on the FML (and to all the shelters) my apologies for not
getting out a shelter list since August.  Handling all the finances and
bookkeeping for the Utah rescue and ADV testing has taken all my spare
time so far this year.

Blessings
Judith
--