From:
Helen Coburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:04:00 -0400
>From:    Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bad talk getting annoying
>
>I also took them in for rabies and distemper last night and had no pre-med
>and did not stay extra time as recommended by my vet.  Now I worried the
>
>ENTIRE time I was at the vet and was awake every 2 hours that night,
>watching my babies.  I think you guys made this such a hype and I wanted
>to give you my input.  I had a WONDERFUL experience.

The fact that your babies did not have a reaction is great.  This is not
a slam, but the concerns about a reaction to a vaccine is NOT hype.  The
reason it probably is mentioned so much is that many of us have had the
experience of a ferret with a reaction and it is scary.  I've had ferrets
for over 2 years, I always pre medicated and wait the 30 minutes.  And none
of my babies had a reaction, until last month.  My Prissy had her distemper
shot, and after 20 minutes she was vomiting and had diarrhea.  Dr. Karen
immediately started treating her for the allergic reaction and dehydration.
I am thankful I stayed, I would hate to think what would have happened if
I had left.  Hopefully you will never have to experience this, it is hard
on the ferret as well as the parent.

dooks to all,
Helen