Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 05:40:29 -0800
Mike,
here are some more tips on reducing/eliminating the "ferret smell"...
which I think smells pretty cool, like corn chips...makes me wanna dip
them in salsa..  teehee..

1. definitely clean the litter box, as often as you can, I do it at
least twice a day, I have three kids and one box in their cage...I use
yesterday's news, recycled newspaper litter...I don't care for the way
the wood pellets turn to sawdust, I find it gets everywhere.

2. Wash/ change their linens at LEAST every other week...more often if
you like.  I have many changes of linens in one of those plastic three
drawer carts, with wheels.  At linens-N-things (and other places), they
sell those smelly sachets in paper envelopes...I put an envelope in every
drawer on top of the linens I'll use next...it really makes them smell
nice, and when the babies lay on them, they pick up that scent too.

3. Most research shows that bathing your ferret creates more smell, so
the more you bathe, the more their glands produce more scented oils.
Hence, the less they are bathed, the less they will smell.  When I brush
them, at least once a week, I spray the brush with a scented body spray,
it gives them a happy little fragrance on their fur.

I bought these "ferret wipes" as well, so if they seem a little grungy
I just wipe them down with those, instead of all out bathing them.
Sometimes I just let them play in the water, no soap, and dry them off
afterwards...that doesn't seem to produce as much smell afterwards, as
when using soap.

4. I use lysol or clorox wipes on their cage.  Mine have plastic
flooring, so the wipes work very well.  When they're out playing I wipe
down all the floors and bars, let it dry, and it also disinfects the
surfaces.  Once it's dry they can go back in...I also clean the litter
boxes with them, keeps them sanitary.  I completely dump the litter
boxes about every 3-4 days..and wipe it down, and put in fresh litter.

Hope everyone's tips help...ferrets definitely don't have to be
stereotyped as being smelly animals, because if you just simply clean and
maintain their environment, there is very little if any smell at all.

GOOD LUCK
Angela