From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 14:20:34 -0700
Troy Lynn made a good point about visiting the shelters before adopting or
giving your ferret up.  Our house is always open for visitors.  And, when
we adopt out to people we require them to come to the shelter to interact
with the ferrets and see all of the different personalities, sizes and
temperament.  One of the best things that I can see from a potential
adoptee is if they get off of the chair and sit on the floor to interact
with the ferrets.  When we have people looking to surrender ferrets we
ALWAYS invite them to the house so they know where the ferret is going
and will see how they will be treated and cared for.  We don't hide where
we are.

Our shelter is small and is family run.  The ferrets do not have their own
room...but their cages are in the living room right were they always have
contact with us.  They are out about 5 hours a day and get outside on our
porch at least once a week for an hour or so (this is done in the evening
because it is hot during the day).  We are upfront and honest about the
ferrets in our care and screen people very well...in my opinion.  We even
take the ferret to the new home.

Another thing that I saw on the tape was the fact that Jen didn't have
any proof of the ferrets that were surrendered or adopted.  She had no
paperwork.  I love paperwork (guess that is why I am in administration!).
Each ferret that comes in has their own folder.  It contains: A surrender
(intake) form filled out (which I put notes on it when I do the inspection
of the ferret), all medical records for the ferret, pictures of the
ferret, and any other information on the ferret.  When the ferret is
adopted out, we put in the adoption contract, and then write notes in
the file when we do "check-ups" either by phone or in person.

We also have folders for our own ferrets with pictures of them in each
folder...and updated as needed.

I want to say a special thank you to all of the shelters out there.
There is a lot of hard work put into everyday and yet you continue to
get up and do it again without complaint.  Thank you.

Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz