From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:17:36 EDT
After hearing about the "part with ferrets" in the movie, it enraged me.
I wrote letters after the first posts to the writer of the books, the
editor of the books, the director of the movie, producer of the movie,
etc.  My fed ex bill was very high to say the least.  I asked them why
in god's green earth would they ever consider using ferrets as food in
a movie like this.  Did they not think children would come to see their
movie that owned pet ferrets?  I told them that it was wrong to use pets
in this manner.  So everyone pretty much knows how many letter went.
This morning I picked up my mail from the Post Office and i got a letter
from the writer of the book who said that he was referring to the black
footed ferret and not the pet ferret.  He went to also say that he didn't
realize it would offend so many people as he thought since the Black
Footed Ferret was a wild creature it would not cause so much concern.

It still bothers me that someone would use even the Black Footed Ferret
in this manner.  I wanted an answer to my questions and I guess I got
it.  I have not seen the movie myself but I was wondering, were all the
ferrets Sable or Black Sable?  I guess if they at least look like the
black footed ferret, i could see his side to a point.  His book is set
somewhat in the past and therefore, I guess they were trying to use an
animal that might have been around.  But in that aspect why not use a
ground hog, praire dog or something to that nature.  Ferrets are always
getting throw to the wayside and stomped on and I am sick of this
behavior.  When they do something like this in a movie, it makes me upset
becuase people out there who do not like ferrets might be encourage to do
this to a ferret.  It not bad enough we have to fight with Cat and Dog
rescues for everything, now we have to fight the movie business too.  For
the past 14 years I have been fighting to get funding for ferrets from
the government.  Without fail I have been told ferrets are not legal
everywhere or they aren't pets!  They are legal in several states and as
pets but still they said states consider them exotic and they cannot give
funds to exotic animals.  I st ill argued with them saying then make it
available in states where they are not "exotic" or "illegal" and they
told me they give funding to cat and dog rescues.  I will not give up
until they provide funding or make it available to the ferret community.
Some states themselves will grant funding but so far, PA has told me that
they are already giving to so many rescues and cannot afford to do
anymore.

There have also been many questions about rescues and shelters and their
funds.  I do agree that all pet owners (not just ferret owners) should
put money aside for their pets for a "rainy day" so to speak.  I put
money aside for the rescues and my personals.  They go into different
accounts.  I do not like using credit cards but I have two just in case
cards.  One for the personals and the other for the rescues (which has
two the limit as the personals).  I have over several years had to dip
into my personal's money for the rescues.  I have returned the money to
their account but the rescues are separate from everyone and remain that
way.  Also in regard to when a rescue becomes a personal, I believe a
rescue is not a rescue anymore when you decide to keep the ferret and
never adopt them out.  Though I do have rescues that need constant
attention and I have not met the right person to continue their needs as
of yet, but they are rescues still becuase I hope one day they will find
a new home.  But until then, I will provide for them.  But my point is
when you have a healthy ferret who comes in as a rescue and you keep them
instead of adopting them out, they become a personal ferret.  Ones that
need medical attention on a constant basis or are handicapped in such a
way that make them difficult to adopt out, you provide for them and hope
one day someone will come into your shelter or rescue and say they will
provide for them in the same why you are.  Sometimes that day never comes
but at what point do we hold ferrets like that for that long can we then
adopt them out?  I had some that after 3 years, I took them as mine,
because i knew i could not adopt them out becuase i feel in love with
them.  There are so many definitions and everyone has their own opinion.
There is no standard but if someone takes in ferrets and never adopts
them out, then yes they are a collector and not a shelter or rescue.
I do agree with that.  But please keep in mind that hospices take in
several ferrets that will never leave again.  We have so many
translations for the word "rescue" that it boggles the mind.  But a
rescue in my description is a ferret taken in and helped medically or
in general given help and rehabilitated to one day be adopted out.  Also
a rescue could be one that will never be adopted out due to medical
concerns and problems but the rescue takes them in with the hope that
maybe one someone might adopt them or that they can get them well even
to be adopted.  I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and
like I said there are so many definitions of what a rescue is.  I honor
everyone's opinion.  I hope all is well.  Thank you for your time and
consideration.  Also for lending your probably bend ear, LOL!

Sincerely,
Dawn Smith, Vice President
Legion of Superferrets