From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 07:06:51 -0800
Let me clarify about ECE in Spokane especially since Scott's post
inadvertently co-mingled information from my earlier post:

Dr. Stauber told me (in a phone call to me) that Jean had brought in ferrets
to be treated for ECE during the year prior to the attack.  I don't remember
the exact date, but it was approximately 8 months before the attack.  Jean
told me when I visited in December that she believed it was longer ago than
that.  This is the reference to ECE that I repeated on the FML.

Dr. Stauber then told me that there was an outbreak of ECE at his clinic
when Jean's ferrets were brought in for treatment.  Although coincidental, I
find this particular proof less than convincing because the ECE could easily
have been brought in from somewhere since it is so contagious.

The reason this whole issue was raised is that it would be negligent for
anyone to fail to pass on information regarding ECE.  We did not find this
information out until literally hours before we were scheduled to pick up
the ferrets in December and felt we could not back down.

To reiterate: *none* of ferrets in the shelter became sick after her ferrets
were introduced.  Jean's ferrets in Spokane appeared to be in absolutely
stunning health - not to be sickly or wasted away as sometimes happens for
months after ECE.  I believe I posted last year that her's were some of the
most beautiful ferrets I have ever seen in my life (and I've seen thousands
of ferrets).

    -Carla