Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:42:25 -0500
Very sad and angering situation. I'm relieved and appreciative that the
ferrets are now safe. My heart aches for what they endured at the hands
of those (deleted) that were suppose to be protecting them. How can
someone do this to innocent, dependent, helpless, trusting little
beings? This makes me very angry....

I do ask that with this many ferrets that were all together for a time,
please be very careful with separating them when adopting them out.
Many shelters have seen the sometimes deadly results of separation
depression, and after what these little ones have been through they
only had each other to rely on for emotional support for some time.

The husband certainly should be prosecuted for animal neglect/abuse
since the ferrets were in his care when Stephanie went to jail and he
didn't provide basic care for them. The amount of waste and the time
she was in jail could determine if this was the result of her lack of
care or his.

If the local authorities won't do anything, it can be taken up to the
next level, and there is the option of local and national news sources
as well. As in the case of Ollie, and in the Jen Morrison case,
sometimes the more attention the case receives the more likely the
authorities are to look seriously at the crime and not sweep it
under the carpet. TAnimal neglect/abuse IS A CRIME, and needs to be
prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law (and more if I had my way -
sentencing can never be enough to wash away the fears, hunger, pain,
loneliness, and horrible conditions these little ones faced with no way
out....). Had the mother not alerted April these little ones would have
died a very painfully long death, wondering why no one came to help
them.....

It was stated there was fear he might harm the ferrets. Was there some
reason the mother did not go over to check on the ferrets? Was she
afraid of the husband? Was he physically or verbally abusive? Did he
have a history of harming ferrets or family members? All this
information is pertinent to the case.

I too thought the original post mentioned volunteers but I just now
went to the site and see it states 'associates'. I must have misread
the original message.

What was the name of the ferret group that was contacted and couldn't
help the ferrets other than giving Stephanie other contacts? That would
be critical information to try to avoid this type of situation in the
future. When someone asks for help we as a community need to try and
do more than just give referrals. We can get as much information as
possible and contact the other organizations ourselves to alert them to
the situation. I've spent hours contacting other state ferret groups
when there is a situation someone calls me about. It is the very least
one can do if they are not able to provide the needed help.

I'm hoping the vet has received enough donations for the ferrets care.
I sent what little I could to the vet clinic. I can't afford to have
blood work done on all my ferrets or to have all their teeth cleaned,
but I can donate a little to help with surgeries for the Ferret Etc.
ferrets that are in need. If many people send $1, $5, $10, $20, or
whatever they can afford these little ones can have the medical care
they need. Please don't turn away, that's how these little ones got
in this situation in the first place.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org
Kansas