From:
Connie Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:48:34 EDT
Stepping onto soapbox

It's funny how your perspective on something can change almost overnight.
During the last year I have read, and to be honest skipped, most of the
ADV messages.  They were much too technical for me and I just don't get
most of the medical stuff.  I'd gone to White Russian's website and
still found it too technical for me.  But that all changed when Alicia @
Ferretwise and Susan @ FurTulsa found ADV positive ferrets at their
shelters.  It changed even further when I learned how disappointed and
saddened Sonya was at learning that JoJo was ADV positive and would not
be able to join Tobie and Girlie in her home.

So I went back to look again at White Russian's website and it was like
I was viewing the pictures with new eyes.  Here is this beautiful fuzzy.
He looks so healthy, he looks fat and sassy, and HE LOOKS NO DIFFERENT THAN
MY FUZZIES!  This could happen to me, to people I care about.  It already
did happen, Alicia and Sonya have been affected by ADV.

So let's be honest, ADV or the fear of ADV affects us all.  Some have
stopped going to ferret frolics; some view the fuzzies at the pet shop from
a distance instead of getting up close and personal.  The behavior patterns
have changed, which may not be a bad thing.  But I for one don't want to
live in fear.  I need to do something.

So today, right now a check goes into the mail for ADV research.  No, I did
not get a raise, hit Lotto, or anything else.  I'm changing my own behavior
pattern.  I do not need the Super Size coffee in the morning, I can skip
the chips in the office vending machine.  I can make small changes in my
lifestyle to save money to give toward finding out more about this disease.
I'm asking you all to think about doing the same.  Think about small
changes that could help you to donate to ADV research.  I realize that many
people here are doing so much already and it seems unfair that I am asking
you to do more.  But I worry that this situation will only get worse.  Most
of us on the list have more than one ferret, it's the way we are (bet you
can't have just one!)  We will either spend the money up front on research
or spend it in the end trying to provide medical care.  The research done
on ADV now will save us all in the long run.  Everything learned will be
of benefit to the health and well being of our companions.

If you haven't done it yet, please go to Judy's White Russian ADV page, go
there now.  Stop reading this message and look at the beautiful faces you
see there.

And after seeing those faces look into the eyes of your fuzzies and think
about what you are willing to do for them, for their quality of life.
Butch and Maggie may end up with one less toy or hammock but what good are
toys and snuggle sacks if they don't have their health!

Here's the link: to Judy's site
http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/index.html

Too technical for you (I understand) here's Wolfys' site: The link is to
her home page with lots of great stuff.
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/

Thank you Alicia, Susan, Sonya, and most of all JoJo, White Russian, and
Charming Charlie for opening my eyes.

Stepping off soap box now and mailing the check in honor of those just
mentioned.  My respect for you is unlimited.

Connie, Butch, and Maggie
I am only one, but I am still one.  I cannot do everything, but still I
can do something.  And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse
to do the something that I can do.

Helen Keller