From:
Ariel White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 14:05:31 -0700
I want to add my two bits worth to Anne's list of ferret first-aid supplies.
Like her, I would suggest the vet gets called first in any emergency
situation; however, I put my kit together for those times when we're
travelling, or when we're out in public, like a park.  So I don't carry
quite as much as what gets stored at home, but I carry:

Styptic pencils: these will cauterize a bleeding wound enough to get your
fert to a vet for stitches

Gastrolyte: Like Pedialyte, but in *powder* form in packages.  This makes it
easy to carry around, and you just add water.  I bring a syringe to
force-feed, if necessary.

Syrup of Ipecac: To force vomitting if they've eaten something dangerous.

In addition, I also carry some of the other meds that Anne mentioned but I
won't add for length's sake.  It's such a good idea to carry these things,
plus some food, water, treats, and your vaccination certificate while you're
out in public.

The other thing I've done, mentioned previously on the FML and a great idea,
was feed my fuzzies some of the gastrolyte water and meat baby food at home,
to get them used to it.  That way, in an emergency I won't be convincing
them to try something new.

Ariel

Jasper, Taz and Baxter

Think Mining.  Think Newfoundland.  Think Canaco.