From:
John Hines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 02:54:22 -0400
Hello all,

Well, we went to the vet yesterday and the blood work revealed the reason
that little Nikita hasn't felt much like eating or drinking lately: kidney
failure.  Her BUN is at 93 (normal range 10 - 33) and her phosphate levels
are at 9.9 (normal range 4.2 - 8.5).  Needless to say, I figured that, at
8 years of age, the only option left me would be to have her put to sleep.
It's not like she can get a transplant or undergo dialysis.

My veterinarian informed me, however, that it can be treated, although
there is no guarantee for success (is there ever?).  Subcutaneous fluids
(Lactacted Ringer's) every day to promote diuresis, followed possibly by
calcitriol once her BUN and phosphate levels come down some.  I am a
research scientist and a former vet tech (long ago), so the idea of
giving fluids is straightforward enough.

Nikita rests a lot, and vocalizes from time to time -- usually upon
waking -- which I am interpreting as an indication of discomfort.  However,
when she is up, she trots around and plays in her dryer hose and whatnot.
She likes to be held and stroked.  She appears alert.  I have to force feed
her duck soup for the most part, but I am told that is because she is so
nauseated that she can't eat (she will freely take diluted Ensure, but not
a lot).  Occassionaly she stops by her food dish or water bottle, but often
walks away with a grimace on her face.  I take this to mean that she
would eat if she could (meaning she hasn't given up).  She is currently
on carafate, pepto bismol and antibiotics to discourage ulcers.

My intention in posting here today is simply to get a better idea of how
successful this regimen has been for those who have used it.  I want to
hear from people who used it successfully, and from people whose ferrets
were unresponsive.  I want to be realistic.  As I said, my veterinarian
has freely expressed that sometimes this won't work for ferrets.  But
sometimes it does.

John

P.S.: The only thing I have ever wanted (aside from many happy years with
my ferret) is to do right by Nikita.  That is my first priority.  I WANT
to give her the chance to live a while longer.  If I can give her another
6 months, well, that's a long time for a ferret.  But if it isn't to be,
I WILL do what I must to end her discomfort.  I don't believe in keeping
Nikita alive unless it's a quality life.