From:
Tracie Belongia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:34:36 EDT
Update on the RichmondFerret Rescue League.

Marlene Blackburn has relocated the R.F.R.L. to a home on 3 acres of land
in South Richmond, just off Chippenham Parkway.The property has a dedicated
ferret house, currently providing air-conditioned,comfortable shelter for
about 35 fuzzies.  Marlene has been so busy since the move -- with building
an outdoor play area, landscaping, and general moving-into-a-new-home
stuff, all additional to the daily care of the current residents!  She
is also applying for the 501c non-profit tax status.  Overall it's been a
good summer and we're looking forward to furthering our efforts in public
education and adoptions for our needy friends.

We have to thank Nancy Clarke, of Enon, for housing the elderly and
special needs ferrets.  She also serves as our foster care coordinator.
Her background in nursing and wildlife rehabilitation has proven to be
invaluable in this role.

We also have a "Northern Branch", located in Mechanicsville.  Tracie and
Lorne Belongia have opened their home to housing 11 young adoptable
fuzz-butts, and are looking for loving, permanent homes.  We would like
to adopt them out in pairs, as most have cage mates.  Adoption fees are
negotiable, and we always screen potential new parents.  Appointments can
be set up for weekends and weeknights for all 3 locations.

If anyone is interested in sponsoring a special needs ferret, we currently
have 4 with various cancers that require medications, and are not
adoptable.  These are wonderful ferrets that are old but have good quality
of life.  We use lupron and proglycem for their treatment, and we can
always use additional supplies.  Donations are always welcome!  As our
shelter grows, so do our needs.

Veterinarian care is provided through visits with Dr. Mike Zuccaro, D.V.M.,
at the Brook Run Animal Clinic in north Richmond.  He and his staff are
fantastic, and we applaud their patience and skill in caring for our
loving fuzzies.

We are fast approaching our maximum capacity, and would greatly appreciate
any references for potential ferret owners to call on us, as we have plenty
of loving adoptable ferrets!  Most of these are less than 3 years of age.

We have a great P.S.!
The 2nd annual Virginia State Fair Ferret Fiesta is September 30th,
sponsored by The Richmond Ferret Rescue League.  This will be a specialty
show, with lots of fun classes.  Call the Richmond Ferret Rescue League
for more information.

Contact the RFRL by phone at (804) 276-5422 (Marlene), the north branch
at (804) 730-5605 (Tracie), or you can email us at
[log in to unmask]  (Tracie Belongia).

Thanks in advance for your attention
Staff at the Richmond Ferret Rescue League
Marlene Blachburn, Nancy Clarke, Lorne & Tracie Belongia