From:
"Cinda B. Beach" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 05:16:29 -0500
I've heard it mentioned here that both IAMS and Nutro's are considered
"premium" foods and good for ferrets.  I work at a pet store that sells
both, so I can get a great discount, but I can't figure out which is better.
I currently feed my ferret Nutro's Natural Choice Kitten Food, which is
close to Nutro's Max Kitten but is preserved naturally, and has a little
less protein and fat.  The IAMS has a higher protein and fat content(I think
something like 34% and 20% compared to 32% and16%) but it is made with
by-products.  Yetch!  While by-products are high in protein, it is somewhat
undigestible protein.  The second ingredient is chicken, which sounds fine
until you compare it to Nutro's...their first ingredient is chicken meal,
which means that they dry it and grind it before weighing, hence ending up
with a lot more meat.  When it just says chicken, they weigh it when wet and
can therefore have it listed as first ingredient, though it is actually
mostly water.

Could someone knowledgeable about food help me out please?  Also did someone
mention that you shouldn't give them kitten food after a certain age?

 Thanks,

 Cinda