From:
Michelle ILaine Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:27:14 +1200
I have read the posts on ferrets here in New Zealand with interest.

There is some speculation on the developments of ferrets here. For
while ferrets are widespread and have essentially populated the whole
country there origins are at least, feraly, from introduced ferrets
and polecats introduced by the NZ Government in the 1880's to control
pests. I did read an article quite some time back where it stated that
the ferrets and polecats were shipped out together and it was reported
that some escaped their cages and intermixed. These ferrets were not
domesticated ferrets. It is most likely they are now hybrids, and this
might explain their size here. Large males reach 3kgs and some females
2kgs

Domestic ferrets, those whom were bred as pets are unlikely to have the
survival instincts needed to thrive, and would need quite large release
numbers to populate an area, though it would be possible I would think.
The NZ Department of Conservation (DOC) have articled and researched
their diets here, and mostly males eat Rats and females Mice,
supplemented by invertebrates, birds frogs, etc. Sadly where Rabbit
Control etc has occurred the feral ferret populations have sought out
alternative food sources and have increased their predation on other
wildlife, so now total eradication of rabbits is not normally carried
out, it is more control of numbers.

DOC have discounted eradication of Mustelids (Stoats Weasels Ferrets)
in NZ, and often use ferrets as research in tracking trends in
populations etc.

Banning of ferret breeding in NZ in 2003 has had little impact if any
on wildlife. It was a measure to prevent widespread retail selling of
ferrets as popularity for them expanded.

If anyone can direct me to Bob Church's released research etc on NZ I
would be grateful, as he stayed with me on occasion during his times
here in NZ.

Ferrets remain popular pets here, though few if any breeders still
exist.

Ferretfan - owned by Ash and Rosie ferrets
Missing so many so mch