From:
sharin alpert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:17:10 -0800
Advice welcome too!

Fact one: Ramon the ferret has never had a clue about this housebreaking
thing.  Drives me nuts.  Not interested in corners, won't step in a box,
etc.  I've been doing most of the perimeter of their room in newspaper.
They've been primarily using 2 corners, but he uses random other spots up
to a couple of feet out from the wall.  The other ferret (the *good*
ferret) is very willing to be trained to go anywhere we want her to -

Second: Til now the room has had a painted plywood floor & threadbare
oriental rug.  Not too sanitary with Ramon's habits!  We finally got it
linoleum'd today - very shiney, very clean.

And: They like to sleep in a big computer box full of old sheets and rags
(with holes in sides for access...).

So: We decided that once we got the new floor in we'd try the housebreaking
method where you put "bedding" everywhere you don't want them to poop:

-designated one corner as the bathroom, and put newspapers there with a
  sample poop
- I put their used bedding all along the walls (masking taped down)
- put clean rags in the sleeping box, which will become new perimeter
  rags if the current ones become soiled.
- And we vow to clean thoroly and with vinegar anyplace where Ramon
  performs an "accident." (Or statement of his independence, more like
  it...)

So, wish us luck! I'll let you know how it goes!