Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 1994 20:28:02 -0500
 Greetings,

> As the soon-to-be proud pet human of a 6-week-old male carpet shark, I am
> frantically engaged in ferret-proofing, procuring ferret care supplies,
> etc.  I am wondering, however, about part of the living facilities I am
> setting up.
>
> I have a large, three-level cage with ramps connecting all the levels.
> The cage floors are 1-inch wire mesh, so I have scrounged a bunch of
> carpet scraps to provide a decent floor.  The pieces, however, have a
> bunch of fibers fraying at some of the edges, and I'm worried about the
> ferret ingesting some of these and possibly coming up with an intestinal
> blockage.  Any veteran ferret owners out there have any advice on this one?

 Our cage is partially carpeted, primarily on the play levels...
 I have found that while our two ferrets love to dig and tear at the
 carpet (and may consume bits for all I know), they have suffered no
 apparent ill effects.  And they've been in this environment for over
 a year.  I change out the carpet when it gets too soiled or torn up.
 But I think the carpet is preferrable to wire mesh on their toes.
 Note - I have also used wood vaneer and lanolium to provide flooring.