From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:39:26 -0500
Dear Laura:

>All three of them are coming home with instructions for more supportive
>care and subcutaneous fluids.  From a previous experience, I know how the
>process works.  I also remember how it's nearly impossible to do.

Oh, Laura, I hate to hear people say that.  It may be not much fun, but
with proper instruction and Dr. Weiss confidence (he wouldn't recommend
it if he didn't think you could do it) it is a ultra-valuable skill that
will save lives.  I hate doing it to my own ferrets, but sometimes you
just grit your teeth and do it.  The alternative is far worse.

The ability to give fluids alleviates dehydration and allows you to take
charge of your ferret's care.  Ferrets rarely dehydrate in concert with
your vet's office hours and vets rarely staff their offices on weekends or
at night.  Now you can provide sustaining fluids at home, when the ferret
needs it the most.  And in the vast majority of cases (heart and kidney
cases being an exception) if the ferret gets more fluid than t needs, it
just pees it out, no problem!

>Around the same time as my previous experience, someone posted about a
>method of giving subcutaneous fluids that was different than the syringe
>method (I want to say it had something to do with a butterfly needle and
>tubing?) that was easier for the ferrets to tolerate.  If the original
>poster is still on list (or if anyone remembers what I'm talking
>about) could they please email me with the particulars?

I think there is a web site out there, as I recall.  A butterfly needle is
a small caliber needle which you can hook to a hung bottle of fluids and
let gravity flow do the trick.  I've done both ways, and I actually like
the needle ans syringe way better.  The process of gravity flow takes much
longer and I end up sticking the ferret more times as it wriggles and moves
around.  But I'm sure Charlie can show you the other way if you want to
give it a try.

>Also, any success stories with ferrets surviving ECE would be most
>wonderful for my morale.  All three of the ferrets also have inflammatory
>bowel disease (Dr. Weiss was going to do biopsies on Wednesday--doesn't
>look like that will stand) so I am extra extra concerned about them.

Ferrets survive ECE all of the time - it can be a real problem with older
animals with concurrent disease, but younger, more healthy animals with
good medical care (as yours are sure to get) will do just fine.

Regarding inflammatory bowel disease - you may have just ID'ed the cause.
A biopsy at this point is not warranted, and not wise.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM