From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:40:13 -0400
Hi everyone,
I am posting this message in a plea for help.  I am hoping someone on
Boston's north shore might have some connections that I lack.  These
little guys are living in squalor.

I was up in the area visiting a friend of mine when we stopped at the
Meadow Glen Mall (I believe it is in Medford, but it could be Malden or
Revere for all I know about the area).  There is a pet store in the mall
(PJs Pet Stop I believe it was called) and I took a peek in because I was
just curious.  What I saw broke my heart.  Ferrets, chinchillas, hedgehogs,
bunnies, and other small pets living in plastic aquariums too small to move
in.  I have a ferret of my own, so i am especially sensitive to what those
two were experiencing, but every single one of those animals was sitting
in FILTH.  The two ferrets were sleeping in the middle of an aquarium on
CEDAR shavings...no hammock..nothing to lift them off the shavings!!  The
aquarium was one of those enclosures that was divided in 4 quadrants...like
a pie.  The other three quadrants held bunnies and chinchillas.  The total
area for the aquarium was roughly 3'x3', maybe less and this was divided
in four.  So, if my math is correct, the ferrets were existing in a little
more than 2 square feet of single level space.  That seems about right,
because the ferrets were fairly large and really skinny and it appeared
that they barely had enough room to turn around.  This was compounded by
the fact that the little guys had feces in every corner of the enclosure
and smeared on the sides of the plastic.  The aquarium was covered in wire
with some things displayed on top so the ventilation was restricted even
more.  I removed the displays and put them on a shelf nearby, but then I
stuck my face over the wire and I could barely breathe!!  the stench was
horrendous.  Cedar shavings, an enclosed aquarium, and feces!!!  I can't
believe that those two were still alive with the potential respiratory
problems.  They seemed really skinny and I couldn't wake them.  It could be
lethargy, or just sleeping..  I cannot make a claim.  All I know is that I
could NOT wake them up.

Anyway, I tried to talk to someone, but the place was packed that day and
I couldn't even get near a salesperson or find a manager.  However, I did
complain loudly to anyone within earshot and I made my presence known.
Still, no one would come forward to shut me up and I couldn't wait around
any longer for other reasons.  I am a newbie at this rescue thing and I
wasn't in a position to take them home.  I didn't even want to buy them for
fear that they would just fill their spot with two more babies.  I didn't
want to encourage that practice or allow them to profit for abusing
animals.  They don't deserve to be in business.  However, I do not live in
that area and have no contacts other than the friend I was visiting.

I am putting a call out to all FMLrs to see if anyone in the Medford, MA
area might act to rescue these two or call a rescue organization with more
experience to go in and speak properly to the owners/employees.  I know
that if it is done properly perhaps we can prevent more ferrets from living
through life at this pet store.

thanks for any help.

[HZ]