Date:
Thu, 06 Oct 94 07:39:04 EST
To Jennifer and Maggie:

        Jennifer, what you are seeing in Maggie is not uncommon as ferrets get
older - around six or 7.  Splenomegaly is common in older ferrets, and the vast
majority of cases are benign, however, a focal nodule in the spleen should be
investigated.   I would suggest a needle aspirate of the suspicious area (this
is done under light anesthesia). If there was not this area and the spleen was
just diffusely enlarged, I would probably cousel waiting and watching.

        Hair loss on the tail is also commonly seen in older ferrets, and the
black dots you are seeing are probably a form of acne.  Betadine may be a bit
harsh - a gentle cleansing every few days with a mild antibacterial shampoo is
probably sufficient.  If the problem is especially severe, topical benzoyl
peroxide may be required.

        Neither of these problems are major  and a source for undue worry.  I
have a 7-year-old with both problems also and he does just great.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000