From:
Julia Goodwin-Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:10:41 +0000
>I just wanted to find out if anyone has had any luck with throw rugs in
>the ferret rooms?  We have 6 litter boxes in their room but I tell you
>they always find the other places to poop.  They do use the boxes but not
>like they should so we just clean up "CONSTANTLY" :-).  I thought of
>throw rugs but they all have that rubber backing.  I did put them back
>being afraid that they might chew on the backs.  Are there any suggestions
>for floor poopers?  I don't want to cage them and don't want to put down
>linoleum.  I know just deal with it but looking for something that would
>be easier.  I thought of towels but I figure they will just push under
>and play on them.
>
>Thanks Love & angel hugs Debbie

Debbie, I have free roaming ferrets and fortunantly they have a hardwood
floor.  I have several litter boxes but if there is one or two poops in
it already all four refuse to use it.  So they will go on the floor.  What
I do is I save up my newspaper and spread it around the room where I've
notcied they like to go.  I fix it so the newspaper curls up against the
corners.  They use that instead and it saves on wood pellets (or whatever
litter you use).  I do leave their cages in the room so that when they
are all sleeping I will go around and pick them up and put them up so that
when I do have the time I can clean up the entire room and have it fresh
for them before I let them go.  I find that this system has really taken
the stress of poops aways.

Anyways, all my ferrets use both the newspaper and the litter boxes and I
have a high success rate with that.  Hope this helps!

Julia and her spiteful ferrets: Othella the Acrobat, Liam the Poet, Willow
the Beauty Queen, and Piper the Charmed One.