From:
Ferret MOM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 01:33:53 -0800
QUESTIONS: Reading your posts on the FML has left me with some questions.
Are you closing down your shelter permanently or just until you find a
new place to settle in?

If so, whats to become of all the fuzz kids you had in the shelter?  Will
any of the money your collecting from the sale of ferret items that were
donated to the shelter be given to the foster homes to help them care for
the ferrets your leaving behind?  (i.e., Medical Costs, Food, bedding,
etc.)

You may have explained this all before but if you did, I missed it, I
don't mean of offend you, I'm just curious about what will happen to the
ferrets when the foster families can no longer afford to care for them.
(Praying that never happens)

ANSWER:

Chris,

Please excuse the lack of info that I have actually posted.  I often
forget that not everyone knows everyone on the FML and other newsgroups.
I appreciate your concern for the fuzzes in my care.

I personally do not run a shelter.  I have been associated with the San
Antonio shelter and up until last May often had the joy of fostering as
many as 20 ferrets at any given time.  For several years I served on
their BOD and just recently felt it was time to resign, considering
everything already on my plate.

The San Antonio shelter is one of the older and more stable shelters in
the US.  It has been directed by Candi White for Manyyyyy !!! a year and
will not be closing, as far as we know.  anytime in the near future.

I had only 3 permanent foster ferrets in my care at the time that I felt
it time to find temporary homes for my ferrets.  These three and 1 of
my personals are being taken care of by another S.A.F.E.  foster MOM.
S.A.F.E. will continue to take care of the medical care of the 3
S.A.F.E. ferrets.  They are all over 5 years old ( Maya is around 8 )
and are not considered adoptable.  For my own 5 I plan to continue to
provide shots and medical care.  Each home also is being provided
bedding, food, treats, toys etc.  My ferts have always been a little
spoiled.  They are in the homes of friends and are receiving warmth,
attention and interaction.  I have the privilege of seeing them and
hearing about their daily antics.  I am staying in my Mothers home and
she prefers to have only 1 dog in her house.  It is not my intention to
leave my babies forever.and I do not consider them LEFT BEHIND.

Several years ago I started fund raising for the San Antonio shelter as
well as fostering and if I get in a real bind, I am sure there are enough
supporters that will help care for my 5.

I did not work outside of the home so Right now, until death certificates
arrive from Mexico and many financial things are settled, I am trying to
liquidate some of the many thousands of dollars of inventory that my late
husband and myself personally purchased from my our funds.  Much of our
inventory was purchased from other ferret people and shelters to help
them raise money.  This inventory reduction will also mean there is less
bulk to move and store.  I will be selling lots of my personal ferret
articles as well.

Until recently, profits from the store were used to support the SAFE
shelter as well as several others including 1 in England and 1 in Canada,
S.O.S., & ADV research to name a few ferret charities.  In the past, I
have freely donated new merchandise for fundraisers, clubs, raffles and
people needing to raise money for the vet bills of certain ferrets.  I
do not sell items that were donated to a shelter unless I give all money
made from the sales back to the shelter.  That is how the store got
started.

The articles I donated or gave recently was my personal stash of stuff
that I used when I fostered.  (The many ferts that I was blessed by
taking care of never lacked for any need or comfort as well).

Please feel free to contact me anytime in the future and I will answer
any questions sent to me .

Dooks and War Dances,
Leizann Michele Engelke
349 Oakcrest Dr.