From:
Teresa Knezek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:43:18 +0100
Original post:
>>...licking my arm like crazy and then he begins biting the spot so at
>>first I don't even realize he is biting me but then it hurts.

>I have ferrets who do the "lick lick chomp" thing too.  I'm not sure why.

I have 1 girl who does that... not only on the arm, but sometimes she'll
start licking your ear, and then start nibbling...

Personally, having seen the way ferrets "groom" each other, I think it's
most likely an affection thing.  My girl didn't do it for the first few
months we had her, until she'd really bonded with us.  But when she's
being affectionate to one of the others, she'll start licking the fur on
their heads, and then the ears, and then she'll nibble their ears.

Their skin is a lot thicker and less sensitive to pain then ours, and
nibbling and biting is common when the express affection and play with
one another.  But some of them are better at learning that people are
"no teeth" zones than others...

Just MHO. ;-)
--
Teresa -- and the