From:
Margaret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:36:56 -0700
One other avenue open to the ferret community would be to write to Animal
Planet.  They have an upcoming special on bears featuring Ms. Aniston.
The show is scheduled for Jan. 18th.

With such uninformed and negative comments, I think they should realize
that she is *not* someone who should represent animal lovers of any kind.
You can contact the viewer relations staff via web form at:

http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

This is the letter I submitted.

                            ---------
As a long time viewer of Animal Planet, I was looking forward to watching
the upcoming _Growing Up Grizzly_ with Jennifer Aniston.  Unfortunately,
due to Ms. Aniston's recent extremely negative and uninformed public
comments about ferrets, I will not be tuning into this program and will
urge my friends to do the same.

Ms. Aniston, along with her _Along Came Polly_ co-star Ben Stiller have
repeatedly voiced negative comments about ferrets, stemming from a small
bite Mr. Stiller received on the set of the movie.  As a former shelter
operator, and abused ferret rescuer, I worked with many biters who no one
else could handle.  These ferrets were severely abused and yet still were
able to work past that to become wonderful pets.  I know, from working
with ferrets, that if this animal actor bit his co-star, he must have
been hurting or uncomfortable.  Ferrets who normally do not bite have
good and explainable reason when they do.  As people who promote a
positive view of even dangerous animals, I personally feel it is a shame
to have someone representing them who obviously has no problem spreading
inaccurate information.  I hope that you will refrain from future
dealings with her.

Thank you for all the wonderful information you do give out.  Animals are
fortunate to have such a powerful voice.

Margaret Merchant
                            ---------

Blessings,
Margie