From:
Traci Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 19:49:19 -0500
Stephan is our 4 month old, been with us about 5 weeks, I came home from
work this morning to discover he had vomited about 5 or 6 times, he was just
sleeping or resting even when Frankie would like his face trying to
encourage play.  This was not the usual bouncing wild man that describes
Stephan.  I got him to take about 10cc's of water and a little ferretone,
but he seemed to be gagging or maybe having dry heaves.  I called the vet
who answered the phone at 9am (thank goodness) he could see him at 1030.  He
didn't have anymore vomiting but no activity.  While the vet checked his
temp he had a huge mucousy brown stool with very disturbing streaks of
blood, and the smell of melena.  The vet drew blood that won't be ready
until tomorrow, as well as stool cx.  He gave subq Normosol, and a shot of
antibiotic, sending the war wounded Stephan home on Flagyl and Amoxi, Pepto
Bismol, and Nutrical for a min.  of 2 weeks.  Steph slept the rest of the
afternoon (me too) just woke up and got 2nd dose of meds and some ferrevite
as he refuses nutical.  We're looking at a host of possible causes, from
infectious to inflammed colon from some other reason.  I'm hoping the labs
will help.  The stool is definitely not green so far.  Any thoughts or
suggestions are welcome.  I don't think it's obstruction (I did at first).

Thank you.

Sitting watch over Stephan, Jake, Frankie, GiGi, James and Traci