From:
Anna Curry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:04:44 -0500
Hi all FML just wanted to update you on Belle & Tigger.  They had a viral
infection for the month of October.  Tigger has been back to normal for 3
weeks but I have been concerned about Belle for the past year.  She has had
symptoms like being lethargic, half closed eyes, will not eat or even move
for long periods of time or will just sleep alot, but not eating has always
accompanied all the different combinations of symptoms.  But half of the
time by the time I get her to the vet she is better, or they tell me she is
ok when I know in my heart that she is not.  Well we went to see Dr. Wiess
last week and he agreed that her initial sugar level taken 8/96 of 67 and
her recent sugar level of 56 taken this month is a sign that something is
wrong.  I was so relieved that I was not crazy and someone knew what to do.
My poor baby Belle has been to over 6 different vets since 8/96.  I have
drove my boyfriend crazy because he doesn't understand why I keep taking her
to the vet if the vet says she is ok.  Well as my local shelter said
treating a ferret doesn't mean you are a ferret knowledgeable vet and he hit
the nail right on the head.  Every vet that I mention to the shelter they
were not familiar with and they know all the ferret vets in the area.  Its
frustrating, I knew the whole time that the shelter was there.  If you are
having a hard time finding a ferret vet call your local shelter and see what
vet they use.  Sometimes the answer is so simple you just never think of it.

Dr. Wiess found a couple different types of bacteria in her stool.  Her
stool has been tested so many times but most vets limited their stool test.
She will start two types of medicine today for 2 weeks and then she will go
back to Dr. Wiess.  But do you know 2 hours after we got home from the vet
she was acting like a nut.  Jumping, running, trying to make wild jumps (2
feet), falling and trying again.  I was running all over the house after
her to make sure she didn't hurt herself.  She does this all the time, have
me worried and then wake up and act like a normal ferret.

Well I will keep you all updated for those of you that are having similar
symptoms.

Anna, Belle & Tigger

Tigger: "Belle, how come you get duck soup and attention for doing nothing?
I have to lay at mommies feet and roll on my back and put my hands in the
air, or run up to her and do cute stuff for her to hold and cuddle me.
Belle: "Amateur"