From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:34:17 -0700
This post is in response to a question/statement about the Des implants
posted a week or so ago. I inquired of my vet about their storing
procedures with regard to the implants. As of this message my vet
(WNY) has not purchased the implants from any company other than
Peptech and Virbac Australia (Virbac, US having purchased this
company). Over the past three years the time it has taken to receive
shipments has varied - partly due to tie ups at Customs in San
Francisco. This means that at times the implants went several days
without being kept within the temperature storage range suggested on
the box. In spite of this, doc says they have not run into an issue
where the implant has not been effective in helping the ferret deal
with adrenal disease. They however, do store the implants once
received, under recommended conditions.

We have used about one and a half dozen implants from this ofice in our
personal ferrets and have always seen some improvement from use of the
implant.

The other comment made in the post was that if handle the implant which
is encased in wax, will melt. I would simply assume that is part of the
reason for a cooled storage. Otherwise, the product could be kept on a
shelf where higher temps could affect the integrity of the coating and
thus the implant proper.

The other point that should be realized is that the manufacturer has
designed the implant in such a way that it should never be handled
prior to injection into the ferret. The implant is packed in a sterile
packing. The injection procedure is such taht actual contact with
the bare implant should not occur. Any thing being injected under the
skin in any living creature should be done so in the most sterile of
procedures to prevent any potential infections/introduction of bacteria
into the organism.

I do hope this information is helpful.
Cathy Ryan

Feed rescued animals in two clicks