From:
David & Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:06:38 -0500
I don't really think the care of the animals has as much to do with the
name of the franchise as is does with the individual store's management.
Either way, the best way to confront poor treatment is through upper
management/administration, as was recommended, and not the local store.

Our local Petco does an outstanding job with ferrets and with potential
ferret buyers.  I've actually overheard the store's manager advising a
customer that he didn't feel a ferret would be a suitable pet for the
customer's child, and recommend alternatives.  Soft food is provided for
new arrivals, and if the manager thinks the ferrets look too young, he
actually takes them home with him for another week before making them
available for sale.  (He is not a ferret owner.) The store's employees
responsible for caring for the ferrets have consistently been gentle and
knowledgeable.  Although they don't use the vet that I prefer, they do
obtain veterinary care for sick ferrets and follow through on prescribed
medications.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home
www.ferrets1st.com