From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:50:03 -0500
Dan Kinney wrote:
>My girl, Boofer, still only weighs 1.5 lbs.  Is this normal for a MF ferret
>[...] Ralph tips in at just over 2 lbs and Footch is the fat guy at 2.5.

Normal weight range for female ferrets from any breeder is 0.75 - 2.5 lbs,
typically about 1.5 lbs.  Normal for males, say 1.75 - 5 lbs.

>Would appreciate info (MF ferret weight and health problems) from those who
>have it.

No confirmed health problems in MF ferrets versus any others.  Lots of
rumors and speculation, and lots of old MF ferrets with no history of
trouble.  Keep an eye out for symptoms, as always, but don't panic.

Penny Elliott wrote:
>Anyway, the little girl has a small (about the size of the symbol @)
>pocket of puss on the back of her throat.

Seems to be a fairly common thing, probably a minor infection (like a
chancre sore) or cyst.  If it's not bothering her or interfering with her
eating, you could probably let it go for a couple of days, then if it
doesn't go away, go to a vet for lancing or antibiotics.

David Doyle asked:
>Subject: Red poops
>Is it blood or licorice???

I'd bet licorice.  We tried feeding a quarter-inch bit of red licorice to
our ferrets, and they both passed bright red stools shortly thereafter, just
the same color as the licorice.  Blood in stools is generally rust-brown or
tarry black.

Somebody in a previous issue asked (not verbatim):
>Now my ferret's coat has turned white -- is it the medication/surgery?

Probably not.  Most ferrets look lighter in their winter coats.  For
instance, see the "front-and-top view" and "jacket sleeve" pictures of
Pixxel in the Photo Gallery.  In
<http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/jpegs/pix-frontview.jpg>
she's wearing a summer coat, and in
<http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/jpegs/pix-sleeve.jpg>
she's dressed for winter with a much lighter head and mask.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>