From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:04:50 -0600
Has anyone had experience using cryo against squamous cell tumors? One
of our foster ferrets, Ricky, has a pea sized tumor on his lower left
jaw/lip. A vet, who is not neccessarily ferret enthusiastic, biopied
it and reported that it is squamous cell in nature. The foster dad is
extremely attached to this guy and will take him to the vet school at
KSU if that's the best course. Our own vet, who is a very good surgeon,
does not want to try to debulk the tumor as cells may spread if
disturbed. And he does not feel capable of doing jaw reconstruction
should that be neccessary. He is looking into whether cryo surgery is
effective with this type of cell.

In the meantime Ricky is eating well (he's over 3 pounds) and his
foster dad, who does not trust big pharma, has him on vit. D3,
vit. B 17, natural fish oil, and a small amount of "Iodoral", a
iodine/potassium Iodide suppliment. Rick is with us this week so that
we can get him to the vet and I am respecting foster dad's wishes with
regard to the suppliments. I'm wondering what experiences other may
have had with what I understand is a rare tumor in ferrets.

Thanks in advance for any information you have to share.

Bobbi McC, KC Ferret Hotline and Shelter