From:
Susie Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 00:01:48 -0500
The fires of Central Florida's north Brevard (Mims & Scottsmore areas),
Volusia (Daytona Beach areas), and Flagler counties have continued to grow
throughout the day and are overwhelming officials in those areas.  Central
Florida's emergency preparedness level has been raised to level 4.

Homes and businesses have begun to be destroyed as the fires crossed I-95 in
the high winds today.  Over 15,000 people have been evacuated from their
homes and many thousands more may face mandatory evacuations as the night
continues.  Emergency Management officials have asked residents to stay
awake all night as updates on evacuations and road closures become
available.

At this time, Highway I-95 has been closed between I-295 in Jacksonville and
528 (Beeline) in Cocoa.  Hwy US1 is closed through much of this area also.
Traffic is being routed to I-4 in Orlando.

The Humane Society of Daytona Beach has been evacuated and all these animals
as well as the pets of those displaced from their homes have been taken to
the Fairgrounds located on SR44.  Officials are requesting that people not
call the Volusia County Emergency Management but are instead referring them
to their website at http://members.gnn.com/dbsem/index.htm/

I have been unable to get onto their website, but I have been able to get to
the Volusia Co.  Sheriff's Dept website at http://volusia.org/firenews.htm.
All types of assistance (food, clothing, money) will be needed for those in
that area, as well as supplies for the firefighters.  Please watch those
websites for updates on the situation and how you can help.  In addition,
donations can be made to the Red Cross.  ((800) 634-4661)

I believe that Cherie McCoy ([log in to unmask]) has been keeping tabs with the
ferrets shelters in the state and will be able to help those looking for
information.  At this time, none of the Brevard Ferret Lovers Rescue brances
are not in danger and already offers have been made to move the ferrets out
if needed.

Thank you! Please keep your prayers and thoughts with those in the fire
ravaged areas.

Susie