From:
Harber Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 19:25:47 EST
The FLO cell in my livingroom has been lobbying to make this post them
selves, but I thought they might present the problem in a biased manner.
Besides, its getting harder and harder for me to sneak the FLO into work.

Anyway, we aquired our FDI operative, er, I mean our cat, in January.
Miranda was a frightened stray for at least a few months before she came
home with us.  She's about a year old, recently fixed, very affectionate,
very playful, and fully clawed.  She doesn't know that there are times to
not use claws while playing.  Mark and I have learned to keep our hands AWAY
whenever that tail is twitching.

We've been introducing her and the ferrets slowly and trying to emphasize a
calm, everyone here are friends attitude.  We thought things were fine at
first, but now the cat has learned that the ferrets don't pose a real threat
to her (she was sure at first that they had some evil death ray capability,
why else would they come right up to her and sniff her claws?).  She doesn't
understand ferret games, but she has had a good time trying to reach the
fuzzies that were hiding behind the bookcase.  I don't know if claws were
extended or not, but I bet they were.

Our ultimate goal is for the cat and ferrets to have a good enough
relationship so that if the fuzzies accidentally get out and have an
unsupervised run-in with the feline, we won't have a disaster.  (However, my
ideal is that the cat and the ferrets will some day be able to play together
a la Tater and Woden.) Mark thinks we should set up a couple of situations
where we are hiding with the Super Soaker, so we can convince the cat that
the ferrets do have the water death ray capability.

I just don't have enough experience with cats.  The questions are, how badly
could a cat with claws hurt a ferret?  What if her only intention was to
play?  How can you be sure a cat is only playing?  Could a game degenerate
into a hunt?  Should we go with the Super Soaker idea?  And finally, will
the Super Soaker plan end any chance of a playful friendship?

Sorry to babble.  I cut this down.  No really, I did.  Any help from all you
cat and ferret households would be appreciated.

Norris (for Mark, Nico, Gunther, Ozzie, and Miranda)

P.S.  I just found a note in my briefcase.  Apparently Miranda would like to
let the FDI know that she is doing the best she can to keep the marauding
hordes at bay and would appreciate any support that can be offered.  I'm
sure the FLO will post for themselves as soon as they can pick up some more
military jargon.