From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:03:07 -0400
After Sukie posted the link to the story about the Titusville Rescue, and
after reading today's comments, I feel the need to climb up on my soapbox
for a bit.  You see, this has raised some issues I have been thinking
about a lot lately - issues I think we all should be considering.

The purpose of this post is not to criticize any particular rescue.  I
am not in a position to criticize as I have not been directly involved
with any of them.  I have donated money and supplies, but I really do not
know the details of any of them.  Instead, this post is to get everyone
thinking about what we, the ferret community, need to do to prevent these
situations in the future.

In general, the ferret community is known to be very generous and giving
where ferrets and their welfare are concerned.  However, there are only
a few, if any, of us who have unlimited resources - either financial or
otherwise.  Each of these large scale rescues has required a lot of
money, and a lot of the rescuers' time, energy and attention.  In the
past 2 years, we have seen at least 3, if not more, of these large scale
events.  Can we really afford many more?  If you are like me, and feel we
can't, then it is time for all of us to start making some changes.

The first thing we need to do is to make sure that those who create the
problems do not get the chance to be repeat offenders.  To do that, we
need to involve the authorities, and cooperate with them so that charges
can be pressed.  It is imperative that we start learning to work with and
within the system, instead of outside of it.

After sending both money and goods to help with the Utah rescue, I was
appalled when just a few weeks later I learned that Jen Morrison already
had more ferrets in her 'shelter'.  And, while I was less then happy with
the outcome of her trial, we can hope that the experience put a little
fear in her, and that maybe if she keeps her numbers down so that she is
not breaking the zoning law, she will be able to provide better care for
the animals she has.  Certainly, she now knows she is being watched,
both by the ferret community and by her local Animal Control officers.
Hopefully that will keep her from repeating her crimes in the near
future.

With the Hagesrtown rescue, Animal Control was again involved.  And while
no charges have been pressed yet (to my knowledge), there is the chance
that they will be.  Even if they aren't, Di Bachman is certainly aware
that she is under scrutiny of both Animal Control and the ferret
community.  Again, we can hope that this will be enough to keep her from
repeating her crimes, especially since she is already a repeat offender.

From what I have seen and read, it would appear that in the case of
Titusville, Animal Control may be looking into the situation, but as the
rescue of the ferrets took place outside of the system, any evidence
relating to the rescue of the ferrets may be inadmissible.  Fortunately,
there was more involved then just the ferrets, and hopefully, some legal
action will take place.

Whenever there is a need to remove animals from a bad situation,
especially large numbers of animals, it is important to have the local
authorities involved, so they can determine if any cruelty or abuse
charges can be levied.  People who hoard animals usually just start over
again unless some sort of legal action is taken to prevent them from
doing so.

So, it is up to all of us to learn how to work with the system.  I will
agree that the system is far from perfect, and in many ways is unfair to
ferrets, but it is still all we have if we want to stop the hoarders
permanently.

Therefore, we all need to become familiar with the laws that govern
animals (and particularly ferrets) in our area and the agency that has
authority.  Each state will vary - in some states it may be the state
agriculture agency, in others it may be fish and game.  What ever it is,
though, we all need to know who it is for the area we live in, and be
familiar with what laws exist.

We also need to know how ferrets are classified.  If ferrets are
classified as exotics, and are not granted the same rights as dogs and
cats, then you need to work to change the laws in your area.  It is
important to get ferrets classified as companion animals, and given the
same protection as dogs and cats.  Where ferrets are classified as
exotics it is all too easy for them to be made illegal, and they are
often denied the rights afforded to dogs and cats.  Ferrets are not
exotics - they are companion animals, and deserve to be recognized as
such.  I could go on a lot more just on this topic, but as I am trying
to cover a broad range of things, I will let it go with this for now.
However, I would suggest that people interested in learning more about
making changes to the laws in their state contact Alicia Drakiotes, as
she has been successful in NH in making progress in this area.

Next, it is important to get to know your local HS or county animal
shelter.  This can be done in a variety of ways.  Many shelters have
programs where people can volunteer time playing with the animals and
exercising them.  Volunteer an hour a week.  As you get to know the
employees there, talk to them about ferrets.  Let them know that you are
familiar with ferrets and know a lot about their special needs.  I know
that many HS and county run shelters know little about ferrets and their
needs.  So, it is up to us to educate them.  And, the time to do it is
now - not when there is a crisis.  By the time the crisis occurs, it is
too late.  If you establish a relationship with you local animal
shelter, they will be more likely to be willing to work with you should
a problem like Titusville, Hagerstown or Utah arise.
--
Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!