From:
Charissa Ebersole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:24:23 PDT
>I've been looking into doing home distemper vaccinations.  Ordering the
>biologicals isn't a problem (although I don't know where to get needles
>yet), and I'm perfectly comfortable with giving the shot.  I'm mostly
>concerned about the potential for bad reactions.  How likely is it?  What
>should I do if one occurs?  Is there anything I can do in advance...?

Our recent experience with our Arwin proved how important it is to be
prepared for the worst when giving vaccines to ferrets.  I've givn dog and
cat vaccines at home, however I'm thankful that I didn't try giving Arwin
her injections at home.

As pediatric intensive care nurse with years of experience, I've been
through more life-threatening situations than alot of ferret owners.  Arwin
went into a severe allergic, total-body collapse reaction within seconds of
getting her vaccination.  Without the support of our vet, her supplies, and
equipment (ie - a small animal oxygen hut) I sincerely believe Arwin would
not be with us.  If she had needed to be intubated (a breathing tube
inserted) I would not have had the supplies or equipment.  We would never
have made it to the nearest vet in time.

Ultimately, it's up to you, but I do not recommend giving vaccinations
without appropriate personnel, emergency equipment and support.