From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2011 18:19:08 -0400
I think there has been a misunderstanding here. I have never met either
Sue or Sukie, but I've been on the FML for years and would hate to see
a misunderstanding escalate into bad blood, as has happened before.

First, I was most distressed to hear of Bender's death, Sue. My
sincerest condolences. That's a horrible way to lose a ferret (not
that there is ever a good way). It seems as if we ought to be able to
protect these dear little creatures, to keep them safe, and so often
we simply can't, and it's always heartbreaking.

When I read Sukie's response message, I thought "that's nice, Sukie's
trying to reassure Sue that it wasn't her fault, that probably wasn't
due to the food. Sukie must be tired, though - that was a very abrupt
message."

Then I saw that Sue was indeed taking Sukie's message as a criticism.
And now it seems to be escalating.

Please let's all remember that we can't read faces or hear tone of
voice on an internet post.

Sue, I think Sukie is trying to figure out a medical scenario that
makes sense to her. She felt it was premature to blame the kibble, but
I don't think she ever intended criticism of you. Indeed, in today's
post, she says that you shouldn't blame yourself.

Sukie, Sue is hurting from her loss, and being a medical detective is
not her priority right now. She's looking for comfort, not science, and
it's very easy for objective analysis to sound cold and uncaring. I'm
pretty sure, from years of reading your posts, that you are neither,
but you _are_ a stickler for medical accuracy. And it can be hard to
remember to soften words.

It may be more approprate to get into a scholarly discussion of kibble
and choking in a few weeks, when the hurt is not so raw.

-Claire

[Posted in FML 7146]