From:
TinyPrints <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:21:04 -0500
Honestly, Petsmart/Petco are businesses.  They are run by corporate
America and there is nothing any of us can do, if in fact, they decide
to sell ferrets.  With Pet stores, unfortunately the animals make them
money.  The draw people into the store, and they sell the high priced
items on their shelves.  They keep people coming back month to month to
purchase food, treats, bedding etc.  All the complaining in the world is
not going to help.  Even Petsmarts decision to "Test Market" over the
holidays shows they don't care about ferrets.  They care about the all
mighty buck.  Of course ferrets are going to sell over Christmas.  DAHHHH.

The best weapon is public education.  We sit at Petco in Reading at least
one time a month.  I do public education about ferrets, their diseases,
grooming etc.  If I can turn one person away from buying a ferret, my
job is done.  I have talked people out of rescue ferrets just by simply
telling them about the high incidents of Adrenal and Insulonmia and the
costs involved.  Sure, I would love to adopt all my ferrets out today,
but honestly, it takes the right person to adopt a ferret.  If I did not
do the education, I would be putting the ferrets back into situations
alot of them came out of.  A person must be dedicated and willing to take
on the HUGE responsibility that Ferret Ownership entails.  You would be
surprised at how many times I have heard, oh my ferret lost all it's hair
and then died.  They did not even know that was a symptom of a problem.
They thought it probably was old.  If I had a $1.00 for each time, I
would be set in woodpellets for my shelter for a year.

Many vets don't even know how to treat Ferrets.  There are vets who
specialize in ferrets.  With ferrets being the Number 3 pet in the USA,
you would think there would be more vets out there taking care of them.

I think with public education, letting people know ferret shelters
exist.....which alot of people don't know that either, the more people
will turn away from purchasing ferrets at petstores.  There is no real
place on the internet for private ferret breeders to advertise, and
ferrets have only become popular in the last 10 years or so.  If a person
is not internet savvy, they many not even know where to look for ferret
breeders.  There are still many people out there that are amazed ferrets
are the #3 pet behind Cats and Dogs.  Private breeders must get the word
out and I think that would help alot.  Also Rescues must make themselves
known too.  Petco is very good about public education, at least our Petco
is.  They also have the Petfinder site, which is owned by Petco.  The
Petsmarts in our area also are very open for people to do fundraisers and
education.  Working hand in hand to me seems like a more logical option
rather then petitions which probably will not do to much.  (I did sign
the petition though).

The people who must be held responsible for the young kit sales is Path
Valley and Marshalls.  They are the ones who are doing the VERY young
spayed/neutering and shipping these kits out to the stores way before
they should.  I think if any pressure should be put on anybody, it should
on the source of the ferrets.

Just my thoughts..........
Marguerite-Shelter Owner

TinyPrints On The Heart.....
TinyPrints Shih Tzu, TinyPrints Ferretry and Rescue
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com
To Give To Our Kids this Christmas-The Giving Tree
http://givingtree.friendsoffuzzies.com/page4.html
Our Petfinder Page
www.petfinder.org/shelters/PA369.html
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Ebay and Half.com Stores
http://www.stores.ebay.com/tinyprintsferretrescuestore
http://half.ebay.com/shops/shops.jsp?seller_id=1093064