From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 11:44:13 +0400
>From:    Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: "Leaping Ferret" Cartoon
>Today in a local newspaper I saw a cartoon by John McPherson in his "Close
>to Home" series.... I find the humor offensive and the timing very poor
>especially with the California bill ready to be heard next month, and Pat
>Wright's trial coming up....

Another way to get your feelings across would be to visit the Universal
Press Syndicate's comics web page.  Point your browser to:

        http://www.uexpress.com/ups/comics/cl

Click on the Express Yourself button.  You will then go to a page listing
the threads commenting on the Close to Home strip.  Join the "Leaping
Ferrets" thread.  You wil then go to a page where there are previous
comments--scroll to the end and register (you can use any password--don't
use the one for your own account!) and then make your comments.  Hit the
Post button, and then all (including, hopefully, the syndicate) can read
them.

I second Dick's caution to be polite in your letters when you tell McPherson
he's at least 20% off in this strip.  Explain to him clearly, but without
invective, why you feel the panel is offensive.  Heck, offer him a few ideas
for a one-panel gag that would involve ferrets in a more positive and
realistic light.  Surely, we should all get a laugh from missing socks and
car keys!

Have fun with this. If you do come up with any gags, please post them here,
too. Maybe some aspiring cartoonist among us can do something with them, if
McPherson fails to see the error of his ways.

-- Lee