From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 11:08:50 -0500
>Vanilla NEVER attacks short hair cats.  Only long hairs.  Salem's too
>dumb to smack Vanilla or fight back.  Now, everything is on *hold* until
>a solution is found.
>
>Help!  Does anyone have a suggestion?  Any advice?  Is there a peaceful
>solution to ferrets and long hair cats???

Yes.  Keep putting them together for short periods. This is what I & my
boyfriend had to do when we wanted to move in together.  He has 2 cats, one
longhair that's very smart, and a shorthair that's pretty stupid.  My
ferret kept going after the cats -- the smart one would just jump on
something high, and the dumb one would just get chased (my boyfriend
eventually had to teach it how to jump!).  Things have now reached relative
equilibrium, with both cats playing "bait and jump up", and they nap on a
worktable that the ferret can't get up on.

Make sure the cat can jump, and that you allow it to jump on tables, or
whatever, to get away from the weasel.  Salem should also be allowed to
sleep someplace that's ferret-inaccessible.  Of course, now we're being
chellenged by the smart cat, who plays the new game
"I'm-only-on-the-kitchen-counter-to- get-away-from-that-animal".