From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:50:32 -0400
>[Moderator's note: 10 lines seems a bit short to me -- I'd say a few more
>lines than that would be fine too... maybe 20 or 25 line limit?  BIG]

Sounds good to me!  Maximum of 25 lines per poem it is!  Shall we say
that this one ends on September 1st but of course, people are welcome to
send in poetry to be enjoyed afterward if they want?  One other quick
note: be sure to spread the worthy praise around.  It won't be fair to
some contestants if a few people get all the glory when there are sure
to be a number of folks who really awe us, or make us laugh or cry.

Finding vets:
Just go to the Critical References in http://www.ferretcongress.org
and you will find a bunch of different lists of vets people have
recommended for ferrets.  (Actually, at some point i need to check those
to make sure that they all now have our vet, Joe Martins of Bellemead AH
here in central NJ.)
Another way to find vets easily is to go to
http://www.supportourshetlers.org
which lists not only shelters but also the vets they use.  I am trying to
recall off-hand where in PA Ruth Heller is since she is highly respected,
but you'd have to check because I don't remember.  You could also find
that info in one of her recent FHL posts by going to
http:fhl.sonic-weasel.org
and look for posts from FERRETHEALER in the addy; I know she mentioned it
for someone not long back.

>Speaking of endocrinology and hormones... some new research indicating
>that Lupron shots at low >levels given about the normal yearly time of
>ferrets going into heat may decrease adrenal...

Thanks to Dr. Bruce Williams who reminded me that she is Cathy
Delaney-Johnson in a pers. com.

No, MF seeks to have returnees placed with people and with shelters;
they do not kill them.  They don't even go back to MF itself.  Retired
breeders and kits who can't be sold are placed with MF people and
shelters.  Anyone have any info on either of those situations to share
with the list for PV, Triple F, Hagan, or the multiple other farms (at
least 24 total since there are known to be 23 which supply for research)?
I don't know what other farms do.  One of the midsized ones was accused
of another midsized farm at one point of selling ferret fur, but I don't
know if that was true then or now.  I guess it would be good to compare
farm lists with research supplier lists and fur supplier lists.  (MF and
PV do not supply fur; PV does not sell for research; MF sells one percent
for research apparently and 99% for people's companions.) Anyone feel
like seeking these pieces of info out and comparing multiple farms?
Mary, what happens is that there are too many people who want kits
instead of older adoptees.  It is sad, but it is very true -- for
ferrets, cats, dogs, etc.  It's a problem which arises with the consumer
and is responded to by a wide range of breeders of all sizes.