From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:53:32 -0500
From:    "J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Hair Ball Medicine

The dosage for ferrets is the same for kittens (about a 1/2 inch daily while
shedding and 1/2 inch once or twice a week as preventative).  You can not
use laxative with food or medications, but with ferrets, you should wait an
hour before or after feeding for best results.

***   Ferret in shelters

>I was shocked when I realized how many ferrets end up as unwanted pets and
>are abandoned at shelters every year.

Let me present an observation of mine on ferret owners (and generalized down
to any pet owner)...

There are three types of owners:
1.  'Novelty' owners
2.  'The pet is a family member' owners
3.  'Collector' owners

The first type see a pet and think it would be a great novelty to own such
an animal.  This novelty lasts as short as a few weeks when they have done
no research and suddenly realize the pet is more work than they want, or as
long as a few years until the kid is no longer taking care of the pet, or it
is inconvenient due to a move or other lifestyle change.  Novelty owners
also tend to abandon the pet if/when there is a medical crisis or major
expense.

The second type of owner is what the FML is mostly composed of.  This type
of owner has a few of several types of pets and considers things like diet,
pet sitting, lifestyle changes, etc., before they become burdensome issues.
Many times, once a family pet passes on, they do not replace it with one in
kind, unless there is a circumstance.  For example, my mother swore she
would never have another cat because it was so hard on her to find a pet
sitter - now she has two whereas she always only had one before.  Both are
take-ins.

The last type of owner usually starts out as a number two type, but gets
into rescue, breeding, or collecting.  These people may go on for years
working with these animals, then one day, either something they have no
control of happens, or they become burned out.  Either way, the animals are
better off in another environment.  Examples are the Fredonia Ferrets, and
sadly to say, some ferret rescues and breeders a few of us have been dealing
with.  People who do not know their limitations, can't say no to another
incoming, or think no one meets their standards for animal care and won't
adopt out are a hazard to those pets they are trying to save.

The ferrets at shelters are there because of type one owners.  Ferrets that
have been at the shelters longer than three months that don't have health
problems are there because of type three rescue owners.

Several shelters are now saying they have to restrict adoptions because of
ECE.  Well, I've dealt with ECE longer than any other shelter, and ECE will
hit every multi ferret household sooner or later, and there is no vaccine in
sight.  What these shelters need to do now is just educate about ECE and let
the adopters decide whether they want to possibly infect their households
now or later - NOT set limits on who they think they can adopt to.
Otherwise, the "ECE exposed" ferrets will continue to stockpile in shelters,
people will get burned out or turn into collectors, and the animals will
suffer.

This insight is coming to you from a person who has had as many as 90
ferrets in her possession at one time; who has had to shut her shelter down
due to a divorce; and is now rediscovering the joys of having a few special
ferrets and the opportunity of being a number two type of owner again.

Pam Grant