Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:50:42 +0100
I honestly howled with laughter when I read Limejello's amazing adventure.
But after I read your post yesterday I truly felt a little shame.  I
thought about your words all night long and well into today.  I guess the
only way I can work this out in my own mind is to say it this way:

In understanding that Limejello's story was a piece of fiction, I also
understood that, although he wrote about an animal in distress, there was
no actual animal hurt, tortured or in any way harmed.  I also understand
that there are many forms of very real animal abuse and torture.  I can
only say that the reason I can laugh at Limejello's caper was because I
know that no animals were actually hurt.  There is a big difference in
the actual act verses a story.  This I know you are aware.

I understand fully when you say that we must all be careful about what we
give our children access to.  But I also feel that children need to know
the difference between what is acceptable behaviour and what is not.  They
need to know and understand that laughing at a potentially sick piece of
humour is okay provided that it is not actualized.  And that is where we as
adults step in.  We are their role models and guides.  Children need to
know that animals are used as food but need to be killed humanely.  They
need to know that we can't use our furry friends as the butt of a joke at
the cost of the animals' life.  But they also need to know when it is okay
to laugh.  And we will teach them.

I am a compassionate adult, even though I was a child raised on violent
cartoons.  The biggest difference was my father, who was an avid nature
nut and got me to watch all the nature shows with him.  His compassion was
passed on to me, and I pass it on to others.  From what I have managed to
ascertain about you, I feel you are a highly compassionate person who many
could learn from.  That is a very commendable asset.

I have been told by many that I have saved lives simply by telling my
stories about the wonders of nature.  I also relate horror stories and feel
they are appropriate when told at times when children don't understand why,
for example, they can't have a tiger for a pet.

As for BIG, I agree with him that he cannot impose morality on this list.
If he removed all those things that someone thought were inappropriate for
the list, I truly believe we would have nothing left.  By accepting your
request he would then be setting a a very dangerous precedent.  I skim what
I am not interested in reading and glean from the rest what I need.  If I
know that children were reading the posts I would take the time to talk it
over with them and answer any questions that they may have.  I usually
volunteer to answer questions they don't ask.  I am a busy person but I
make the time.  I have to as leaving it to the future is far too late.

I need to laugh every once in awhile even though, in this case, it was at
the expense of a fictional chicken.  But I know that I can save lives in
other, more direct ways.  And that's all I need to make me sleep at night.

Betty and Her Blur 'O Fur